There are codes that architects are required to know and be familiar with. Both building related and codified law regarding the practice of architecture. Additionally, there are standards i.e. ADA/Accessibility that designers use. Take the quiz below to see how much you know!
1) What is the purpose of Building Codes? a. To design buildings for architects b. To protect the health, safety, and welfare of the general public c. To regulate contractors d. To provide jobs
2) How long must a top handrail extend at the top of stairs and the bottom of ramps? a. 1" b. Whatever the office standard is c. 12" d. An arm's length
3) What is the maximum height of a stair without a landing? a. There isn't a limit b. 12'-0" c. The angle of repose d. 1/4 the height of the building
4) Where would you find definitions of building types? i.e. Type V Construction. a) Wikipedia b) Builders.com c) Chapter 6 of the IBC d) This information is not important to architects
5) The building code will typically list a standard and then __________ were the standard does not apply or changes. a) deviations b) contrary arguments c) tables d) exceptions
7) Are accessible means of egress required in alterations to existing buildings according to IBC? a) No (p. 243 IBC 2012) b) Yes c) IBC doesn't address accessibility d) If it was built after 1962
8) Which chapter of the IBC has a table with required plumbing fixtures? a) None. This is the Mech Engineer's job b) Chapter 29 c) Chapter 12 d) Chapter 46
9) What construction type is in which the exterior walls are of noncombustible materials and the interior building elements are of any allowable material? a) Type I b) Type II c) Type III d) Type IV e) Type V
10) Can anyone use the title of architect or any other words, letters, or figures indicating or implying that the person is an architect? a) Yes, as long as they are a member of AIA b) No, CODIFIED LAWS Chapter 36-18A-65 states it is a violation as class 2 misdemeanor
Bonus:An architect's main role is to protect the ______, _______, and _______. (Choose 3) [ ] design aesthetic [ ] general welfare of the public [ ] health [ ] environment [ ] safety [ ] professional integrity
1) b 2) c 3) b 4) c 5) d 6) d 7) a 8) b 9) c 10) b Bonus: health, safety, general welfare of the public
Since graduating from Kansas State in 2012, Liz has gained experience from a variety of fields within the building industry. From drafting at a metal building manufacturer to working at architecture firms to assisting a real estate broker/developer, she has always had a passion for influencing the built environment. As an architect-in-training at MSH Architects, Liz enjoys learning new things and refining her skills with help from other licensed professionals. She is pursuing an architectural license and hopes to continue to shape the spaces and places around her in a positive way.